Monday, July 22, 2013

Sườn Rim Mặn - Caramelized ribs




Difficulty: Easy to Medium (Easy if you have the butcher do all the cutting)

Cooking on the bone has a way of imparting flavor.  The fat molecules that is inside of the bones is released into the meat when it is cooking.  This dish is one of my family's favorite and it can be a very inexpensive dish to make.  The suon dish was part of my rack of rib challenge, where I attempted to see how many different dishes I can make with one rack of ribs. (I will post more about that later.)

You can buy ribs already prepared for you at the Asian market.  It is often called Hong Kong style ribs.  I also get my local grocery store butcher to saw it across the bone and cut them into small pieces when I get home.  If you have a heavy clever at home, you can also cut them into small pieces yourself (like I choose to do on the day I made this dish.)

1 lb ribs
2 cloves garlic minced
1 small shallot minced
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp fish sauce
2 tsp water

First you want to marinade the ribs with the minced garlic and shallots.  Set aside for 15 mins.

Let's make the caramel sauce.  Heat a pan or wok with enough oil to cover the bottom.  Add the sugar and watch for the sugar to develop color.



When the sugar get to a dark brown color, add the ribs in and stir to evenly coat the ribs with the caramel. Brown the ribs for about 5 minutes.  Add the salt, pepper and water.  Cover and allow to cook for about 10-15 minutes.  The ribs will be cook when you see the meat pull from the bone, as pictured.  Add your fish sauce.  Stir in well and taste to adjust with more sugar or fish sauce.

Most Vietnamese families will dress this dish with sliced cucumbers and tomatoes.  The caramel sauce goes well with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment