Sunday, October 7, 2012

Thai inspired Grilled Wings

Difficulty: Easy

One of my high school friends has a blog on her Thai inspired dishes.  I am a sucker for some wings and I had to give this recipe a try.  It is very inexpensive to make and it is very addictive.  Of course, I never follow any recipe to the tee and I modify recipes to what I have available at the house and adjust taste to my liking. Here is a link to the original recipe.  I hope you enjoy it.

20 whole wings, cut up however you prefer
8-10 cloves of garlic
1 large shallot
2 Tbsp minced lemongrass, the light parts or already prepared from the frozen food section
1-2 Tbsp of finely chopped ginger
2-4 Tbsp of sambal olek, more or less depending on heat level
1 Tbsp of palm sugar or brown sugar
2 tsp of honey
1/2 cup of soy sauce
1 small gumball size piece of wet tamarind (minus the seed) or a 1/2 tsp of powdered version

Prep your wings and make sure they are nice and dry before adding the marinade.  Mix the remaining in ingredients into a gallon zip top bag or a large mixing bowl.  I usually use a food chopper and chop everything at one time.  Let it sit for at least 3 hours or preferably overnight.  If you placed it in the fridge, please take them out and let them sit for 15 minutes before grilling.  Depending on your gas or charcoal method, cook until there is a little bit of shrinkage.  It usually take a total of 15 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment